Love Cake Gluten-Free Lemon Shortbread
Our light and buttery, lemon shortbread cookies are so delicious and they’re gluten-free! Leave as a plain shortbread cookie or get creative and decorate your own little edible masterpiece with lemon icing and toppings. Garnish with different colours and textures by adding extra lemon zest, seasonal edible flowers or freeze dried fruits, such as raspberries, blueberries or passionfruit. You could even turn these simple treats into decadent cookie sandwiches by placing a lick of icing between two cookies. The kids (and adults) will love them!
- Electric stand - mixer or electric hand-mixer
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie Trays
- Baking paper
- Cookie Cutters (optional)
- Rubber Spatula
- Chopping board
- 200g butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar
- 1 small lemon, the zest
- 350g Love Cake Gluten Free Plain Flour (Sieved) + extra for flouring bench
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
Icing Ingredients (optional);
- 150g Icing Sugar
- Juice of 1 freshly squeezed Lemon, strained
- Lemon Zest/ Edible flowers/ Freeze Dried Fruit to garnish (optional)
Tip*: Even though there is no gluten found in these shortbread, it is important not to over mix your dough as it will make your cookies heavy and they’ll loose their shape during baking.
Icing Method (Optional);
- Once shortbreads are completely cool, weigh out your icing sugar and sieve it into a bowl.
- Using the same lemon that you zested for the shortbread, cut in half and squeeze out its juice into another bowl through a sieve.
- Slowly adding in small amounts whisk the lemon juice into the icing sugar until you reach a consistency of icing you desire. If the icing becomes too runny you can easily fix this by adding a little more icing sugar.
- Decorate your cookies with the icing by drizzling the icing over the top or even pipe on to the cookies to create beautiful shapes and patterns.
Option 1; If you feel like your cookies need that added touch, carefully add either extra lemon zest, edible flowers, or even freeze dried fruit.
Option 2; To create a cookie sandwich, place a small amount of icing on to the underside of one shortbread cookie, then place this on go the underside of a second cookie and light press together to form a sandwich.